FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH of JOHNSTOWN
37 South Market St., Johnstown, New York 12095
The Reverend Leonard Sponaugle, Pastor
Phone: (518) 762-8263
Fax: (518) 762-2981
WORSHIP and CHURCH SCHOOL begin at 10:30 A.M.
Church School and Youth Group meet September—Mid June
Handicap access via Clinton Street entrance — elevator available
In case of inclement weather, the closing of church or other activities
will be announced on WENT (1340AM) or on the church answering machine
PASTOR'S ARTICLE FOR MARCH
& THE SCHEDULE FOR LENT
Mark 8:31-33: Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and after three days rise again. He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things."
At our Ash Wednesday service we formally and emotionally turned ourselves towards the cross. Lent has begun. It can be such a meaningful time. Studying ourselves and seeing clearly why we need God's help and focusing on the lengths that Jesus went to help us is transforming.
With that in mind, I want to list the schedule for Lent:
1) Our Sunday worship will focus on Biblical themes about Lent.
2) Palm Sunday will be more about the cross than the parade.
3) We will have a Maundy Thursday service.
4) We will join with the Broadalbin and Mayfield Presbyterian churches for a combined
Good Friday worship service in Broadalbin.
5) The Saturday before Easter we will join with the congregations of the Twin City Council
of Churches for an Easter Egg Hunt.
6) We will greet Easter morning with a fancy Awakening Breakfast starting at 9:00 a.m.
7) We will proclaim the transforming of the world by the resurrection of Jesus Christ in our
worship Easter Morning.
Let us make this year's Lent a time of focus, appreciation, and joy.